Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Some more minestrone please ma'am....

My family and I are in the Cape Winelands staying with my wife's sister(Jenna-Lea) and brother in-law(Sean Kelland) while we are trying to settle down and find jobs in this beautiful part of our country, South-Africa. Tonight for dinner Jenna-Lea prepared one of the best minestrone soups I've tasted.

This chunky, heart warming soup had all of it's humble ingredients, lovingly, prepared to absolute perfection. The characteristic ingredient of tomato was skillfully infused with a dry white wine and just the right amount of smoked bacon, and dressed with carrots, celery, onion and garlic, perfectly boiled cubed potato and al dente broken spaghetti pieces. Just the way an Italian mama would do it.

This was all then served with a fresh sliced foccacia bread and butter.

Our meal was gorgeous and reminded me that "soul food" is the main reason I became a chef. Any ways I am looking forward to finding a good job amongst these beautiful vineyards and establishing some strong roots that will not easily be pulled from it's soil.

Ciao Romano, from Chef J.P.

2 comments: